Friday, August 2, 2013

Thank You Rhissanna!!!

In  the Artisan community we thrive best when we have the support of our peers. It's this positive link between us that makes the experience viable and easier to endure. It certainly makes the job more fun too!

So with that in mind I want to thank a friend I have made recently in the online artisan community recently, Rhissanna Collins, for featuring me in her blog today as her featured doll artist for the week. It's wonderful to have the support and encouragement of a fellow doll artisan.
http://rhissanna.blogspot.com/2013/08/dollmakers-on-thursday-forlorn-dolls.html

In many creative fields people are competing with each other. And when I first leapt head first into the world of doll making, I was so afraid this would be another one of those cut throat territories I had been hoping not to meddle with as I had in prior career choices. Oh but it has not been like that. Everyone has been so wonderful and so positively supportive of one another. Even buying each others artwork. It has been beyond what I would have expected. I have never before felt such comfort and, well good karma from other people before.

I have been creating dolls for four years now. And in that time I have had many influences. Everyone knows who inspired this passion which threw me into this wonderful world. And I have a few of Joyce's dolls lingering in my studio to keep me reminded of how inspiration can begin. There are times I peer up from my desk to stare at my little pumpkin girl, the first one of her dolls I brought home from Ghoultide Gathering, and I am still marveled by the craftsmanship. And there have been a series of other artists who's dolls have come to warm the corners of the studio that I absolutely could not live without.

I bought my first Rhissanna Collins doll last month. And she was a delightful addition to my collection of Art Dolls; all dolled up in my favorite era of "modern" fashion, Christian D'ior's New Look (the post WWI fashions that featured corseted bodices and full skirts, and befitted with broad rimmed hats for just a touch over well needed elegance after a long war). And the expression on her face, how can I even explain it? She seems to be staring very intently at something, very deep in thought with the most certain purpose. Every detail simply delicate and amazing. I have seated in a little chair, on my sewing table where she can stare out at my studio. I hope she can see very clearly what her eyes are intent on finding. She most definitely feels at home in Forlorn Dolls Studio.
                                                         
                                              
                                                        Rhissanna Collins, D'ior New Look Doll

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, dollmakers are the nicest people! I was very happy to feature your wonderful dolls and I hope that it will find you new fans.

    Thank you so much for making a home for Miss Dior and for your wonderfully sweet comments. I have no idea what she's thinking, either. She wouldn't tell me. Maybe she'll tell you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true! I have never met a nicer group of people. And so much fun too! If Miss Dior starts speaking it will be a conversation I may never forget, in a very terrifying way. I should hope none of the dolls ever speak though. It would be a sign that I am losing my mind or worse! Lol.

      Delete